Established in 1953 by the California Building Standards Law, the California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) is within the Department of General Services under the Government Operations Agency. CBSC members are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the State Senate.
CBSC's mission is to produce sensible and usable state building standards and administrative regulations that implement or enforce those standards.
- Assists state agencies in producing high-quality amendments
- Works to repeal unnecessary building regulations and see that ambiguous regulations are more clearly written
- Assists various constituents and special interest groups in making their needs known to various code-writing departments
- Administers a public appeal process
- Educates the public about the state's building code, and helps them to understand and comply with it
- Ensures Title 24 is published with minimal errors